Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Go After Your Dreams, But Don’t Go After Your Man??

How many times has this been told or should I said advised? We are conditioned to seek all opportunities as it relates to work, education, and even our purpose. But when it comes to men, we are told to not put any focus on “getting” a man. Why is that?

Let’s take it back to junior and senior year of high school when I decided I wanted to go to college (seriously). In order to make that happen; I took SAT/ACT preps and exams, maintained decent grades, got information on schools of interests, applied, etc.

How about my career of choice? I knew I wanted to work and remain in commercial real estate, so I researched the industry and competitive companies and applied for positions. In both cases, hard work/preparation mixed with opportunity allowed me to obtain what I want out of life.

So let’s bring it back to men. I am now very much in tune with what I want in a man. So why should I sit back and “wait for him to find me”? I’m not suggesting, hanging out any and everywhere, nor talking to just any guy who approaches me. It’s about putting my best foot forward at all times, paying attention to men in my surroundings, and strategically choosing places that will provide me the most opportunities to find ideal candidates.

As a general rule they say, “if you know what you want, then go for it”. I say that’s exactly what I am doing in ALL aspects of my life. It’s not requiring any extra attention nor taking away from my self-productivity. Just something else to think about. What can I say? When opportunity knocks, I'm always ready and looking through the peephole.

2 comments:

T.a.c.D said...

definitely should know what you want so when it comes your way...whether by you approaching him or vice versa...normally its a mutual approach via eye contact or some type of gesture...and first conversations...that's the double standard and problem...that i am having now...

basically he told me straight up that i am guarded and that my attitude as a single woman (non-relationship) works but when you are in a relationship the guarded independant thinking that is so instelled in us doesn't necessaryly work...

so the next step to learn is how to be YOu maintain and still foster a productive relationship...letting you be a woman and him be a man...

so in short i feel you just keep putting your best foot forward

GemisMyName said...

One of my best friends always tells me that finding a man is like networking. You must be in a circle of like minded individuals, be confident, know your stuff, and be purposeful in your networking approach. It is definitely a focused effort and there is nothing wrong with realizing that and behaving accordingly.

What I Have To Say