Thursday, January 04, 2007

My Job is My Career

Job: post of employment; full-time or part-time position
I recall the excitement and anticipation I had a few weeks before graduating from college. It was officially the end of a great era, and the beginning of my “life”. Throughout school I recall my professors preaching over and over the importance of finding a job and making a good salary. However, looking back how was any student suppose to be prepared for the harsh reality of the world without relevant tools? Life isn’t about finding a job and simply earning a buck, yet there are people who perform the same job decade after decade who would disagree. Any and everyone can hold down a job, but how many people can say they have a career?

Career: an occupation or profession, esp. one requiring special training, followed as one's lifework.
How does one make an accurate estimate of what career path is best for them?
Is this assumption based off the grades you made in undergrad or high school?
Assume you know what field is your calling?
Is it through trial and error (working experience) you find your strengths?
Follow your parent’s advice?


It took me a full year post undergrad to discover my true talents and apply them to my current career. I went to school with the aspirations of working in Advertising (which I still do) and ended up with a degree in Marketing. Yet, it was after moving to Dallas I discovered my interest in Real Estate and it was after my first “real” job I discovered I specifically enjoyed and loved commercial real estate. Go Figure!

1 comment:

Blu Jewel said...

with age and experience comes wisdom. I'd say you're doing just fine lady.

What I Have To Say