Friday, May 12, 2006

Forgive Me Father, For I have Sinned..

I met this guy at my church one Sunday. This was't a typical Sunday morning for me. I initially wasn't going to go. In fact, I rolled over in my bed to go back to sleep; but something made me get up this Sunday morning. I hadn't been to church in quite sometime, so I guess my guilt made me get up that day. I headed to church in my car as usual but I noticed as I was exiting off the freeway ramp that the parking lot was rather empty considering I was going to the 8 o'clock service and it was 8:30. I continued to pull into the lot not thinking anything; this is a pretty big church it seats up to 20,000 people.

I headed into the building and went to my usual seating section up in the balcony. Again I noticed how emptied the church was, but I figured maybe people just didn't want to come to church today. I sat down next to a couple on my left and a gentleman to my right. After about 15 minutes of patiently waiting and a little bit of confusion, the couple next to me informed me that Jakes was teaching a new series for the New Year and pushed the 8 o'clock service to 10. So I informed the gentleman to right about the change of service and by chance he too hadn't been to church in a while and fought an urge to stay in bed yet another Sunday.

We had an hour and half to kill, so we just sat there and talked. We had a lot in common and I enjoyed out conversation. In fact, I enjoyed it so much I asked him to lunch following the service and he agreed. The service turned out great and Jakes' subject matters were the same things we discussed during our conversation. During the service I was pleasantly surprised and happy I decided to go to church.

After the service we headed off to lunch closer to where we lived. Lunch was great we actually stayed in the restaurant at least three hours. The entire encountered totally knocked me off my feet. Here I was not about to go to church, and I would have missed this opportunity to meet this great guy. We decided to see each other again the next day. And pretty much started to hang out and things began to become more on the physical side.

No, we did not end up a happy couple. In fact we don't talk any more. Our escapade lasted about two months. But I believed we were doomed to begin with. I have made a permanent mental note to never have sex with a guy you've met in church. In hindsight, I believe God placed him in my life as a test to see if I could handle meeting a guy in his house and still behave in the manner according to his word. I am a Christian, but I'll be the first to say I fall in the grey area when it comes to his word. And because he is a forgiving God, I know he knows my heart is always in the right place.

If this was God's test, I failed miserably. And I am okay with that, because he's a forgiving God. I never have any regrets only lessons learned. I knew better than to fornicate in the first place but especially with someone I met in church…

No comments:

What I Have To Say