Sunday, October 07, 2007

Deja Vu while in CA

At first I assumed things that I was experiencing while working in CA were purely coincidentally or perhaps a company with some issues. But it is now more apparent than ever before being black in CA is an adventure in itself. I am sure there are other ethnic groups who may relate, but I can only express my experience as an African American woman. I understand my issues are not solely something exclusive to me. I know this because I have two friends who are experiencing the exact same thing.

I guess there's comfort in numbers, but I wonder why is this expected in a “diverse” society? You may ask what am I complaining about or what issues am I referring to? Where do I begin? For starters, it is a known fact that “Becky” may get a job before “Ebony” just because she’s of a lighter shade and blonde. “Ebony” may have a degree, a few years of relevant experience and will still be overlooked for the same entry-level job. I know this because I am “Ebony”. I look great on paper, mainly due to the fact that I have a very neutral name. In fact, I receive the shock look every time I meet an interviewer (my bad for your ASSumption).

But we’ll fast forward to the point where I am now an employee. Since I love my job, I always want to give my best. But some how the fact that I do my job so damn well became a threat to some insecure coworkers who don’t quite look like me. They hate the fact that I’m young, smart, happy, a great worker, whose efforts are appreciated by not only my team but also our clients. Rather than treat me like the asset we all know I am, you would rather attempt to “control” me or put me in “my place”.

Once again I have a boss who’s a hater. I thought the point of being in business is to keep competent and happy employees, please our clients (who supply our checks), maintain a stable/product work place, and increase overall revenue for the company. No, you would rather watch me and make sure I’m in line, when in fact I am the reason for your current success and pretend you’re not trying to be shady. It insults me when they act like you can’t possibly put two and two together and see the bullshit they’re trying to pull. Or even worst, I shouldn’t have the audacity to challenge or question authority.

I am the first to understand and respect the hierarchy of any business. But if you’re dumb as shit and my boss, I do have to wonder how the hell you got your position? My main boss has been with the company two years and prior to this job she was a manager at a restaurant (not sure how this is relevant to our specific industry). She has neither formal education nor any industry training, but she’s in charge. How did this happen? She’s over worked yet insist on not delegating some of her responsibilities. This would be fine if you could handle a full load, but you can’t. You’d rather look forgetful and unorganized than pass on some of the knowledge and ask for help.

Oh I’m not bitching or throwing in the towel. Its just bullshit like this that always makes me stronger. Where the hell were these real life lessons in business school? Time to keep on my game face and break out a few tricks…

It's a real cold game!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All too well I understand what you're saying. I'm still wondering how in the heck my boss got his position and how he's managed to keep it after destroying our department...

T.a.c.D said...

it is a cold game out here...like my momma said you got work twice as hard and be on top of your game even more so...

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

truth be told most bosses are dumb as shit - otherwise thy would be in buiness 4 them selves - spoket huh?

What I Have To Say