Thursday, September 27, 2007

Knowing the Rules in CA...

The following is an old tale and by no means anything new. Yet, it’s all new to me. As a young, smart, articulate, attractive, ambitious professional woman who happens to check the “African American” box; I wonder does any one else feel my struggles while climbing “the ladder”?

Is Corporate America (CA) really structured on the basis of true skills, leadership, competency, and equal employing? Or is this simply the bullshit we sell young impressionable high school and college students? What I’ve come to discover is CA is all about understanding the rules of the game, being competitive, and knowing your enemies.

The rules as I see it are as followed:

Rule One: White Men Rule CA
Rule Two: You can only change rule one when you successfully branch out on your own
Rule Three: Being a woman in CA has its barriers, and even more so if you’re of color.
Rule Four: CA is not so warm and inviting to African American men.
Rule Five: CYA (cover your ass) is a must.
Rule Six: Know your job and do it well.
Rule Seven: Education is power
Rule Eight: Establish & maintained safe working relationships. You did not grow up with these people.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is CA (and the rest of the states) to a T...

Anonymous said...

Sorry, that was me. Not sure why blogger did it anonymous. :-(

Blu Jewel said...

So true my dear; so true and thank you for reminding us. this is something to shared with college grads or anyone ambitious enough to go for what they want.

nikki said...

i always hear how 'progressive' ca is. too bad it's just like everyplace else.

T.a.c.D said...

you spelled it out...and even in the non-profit world the rules apply esp rules 3, 5, 6, 7, 8...its a little more diverse and but you still got your barriers fo sho...

Anonymous said...

I'm all over rule #4. Brothas are damn near extinct in corporate america and I'm lonely as hell. LOL!

What I Have To Say